SERMON DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
JAMES: true faith (part one) || February 18th, 2018
Think about our study of James thus far. What have we learned about faith?
Discuss the question raised in verse 14: What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?
Based on this text, what is true faith?
How does this text call us to respond? Think about real actions you can take this week in response to God's word.
JAMES: Lord, have mercy || February 11th, 2018
Look at last week's text (the beginning of James 2). How is this week's text a continuation of last week?
According to this text, how does our salvation affect the way we treat people?
What is judgment? How does this play out under the New Covenant?
What does this text have to say about the way we interact with those around us?
JAMES: keep the faith, lose the folly || February 4th, 2018
Read the end of James 1. Is there a correlation between the orphans and widows in chapter 1 and the passage on favoritism in chapter 2?
What does this passage say about the image of God as seen in humanity?
How can we fight against favoritism in the local church today?
Reflect on your own life. Do you find favoritism/discrimination? If so, how can you pray? What steps can you take rid your life of this sin?
James: To Be The Church || january 28th, 2018
What role does the Word of God play in our pursuit of being the church?
How can we faithfully “receive” the Word of God?
What does it look like to faithfully live out the Word of God?
Think about your every day life; how can you spread the Word this week?
James: For Us or Against Us || january 21st, 2018
- Read verses 1-12 again. How does James see temptation in light of trial?
- What pattern do we see in this text as it relates to temptation?
- According to this text, what is the source of temptation? What is our hope in light of temptation?
- How can you fight temptation in your life this week?
James: From Lack to Life || january 14th, 2018
- Take stock of your own life. Who directs your life? What defines your life? How do you endure?
- What does it look like to lack wisdom?
- How can we boast in God’s economy?
- Taking stock of your life again, how can you more fully rely on God?
James: CUT TO THE CHASE || january 28th, 2018
How does knowing that James was Jesus’ half-brother shape the way we read this book?
Look at the greeting in verse 1. Who is this letter written to? And what is their circumstance?
What can we learn about true faith from these verses?
Seeing joy in our trials is extremely counter-cultural. How can we persevere and find the joy in the midst of the hard things in life?